Saturday, December 22, 2007

Ready, set -- for 2008

Hi, I'm Rita. Thanks for stopping by.

Do you want to incease your exercise and eat more healthfully in 2008? Have you promised yourself you'll lose weight? If your answers are yes, you're in the right place.

I've started this blog to support goals for exercise and healthy eating.

For umpteen New Years, I've made a list of goals. Every list included goals for exercise, diet, and weight loss. Finally, I've acheived a bit of success.

I'm now exercising regularly. I'm eating less saturated fat, and more vegetables and fruits. I've lost twenty-five pounds. (I still have quite a bit more to lose.)

My success is partly due to a study conducted by Stanford University Medical School. The purpose of the study was to find out whether computer-generated phone calls could help people exercise. The Stanford computer called me, and I reported the time I spent exercising. After a year in the study, I was consistently meeting my exercise goals.

Recently, results were made public, and an article by the AP was picked up by the international press.

Here's a link to the article. There's even a picture of me.



I never thought the AP article would be picked up by hundreds of newspapers and media websites across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, and in far-flung places like Spain, Italy, and China. The explosion of this article made me think I have something to offer to others who are on the exercise and diet path, striving to advance toward better health (and, yes, better looks, too.)

So, I've started this blog--to help get myself and others off the couch. And, to help us when we're at the table.

I hope you'll join me in this experiment, sharing challenges and successes with each other. Please post your comments and tips. Working together, I'm sure we can help each other succeed.

Please understand I'm not an expert. I'm an ordinary person who wants to stay on the path of exercise and healthy eating, a person who wants to join with others. What a great feeling that will be!

For the next few days, I'll make some more preliminary postings. On January 1st and after, I'll get more specific.

One request before we start: please, please, check with your doctor before beginning any exercise or diet regimen.

Yours for vibrant health and the good life,

Rita Horiguchi

5 comments:

Wendi said...

Yay, Rita! You're an inspiration. I'm ready to get started with a more serious routine. I used to exercise daily, but this past year I've only worked out sporadically. And it shows! This blog is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to the motivation.

Happy New Year!
Wendi (Giamx2)

Jill James said...

Rita, this is such a great idea.

Amanda(Giamx2)

Magdalena Scott said...

Rita,

Congratulations on your new blog, and best wishes with it in 2008! Writing is indeed a sedentary occupation, and we need to be aware of the side effects. Eight hours in this chair Saturday made me unpleasantly sore, for instance.

My exercise of choice: walking. But so far I've been a Walking Snob - I avoid treadmills and inside tracks. Instead, I traverse the hilly streets and sidewalks of my hometown. I began walking when I turned 40, hoping to avoid health problems of both my parents. I lost the excess weight, felt better - and definitely got the attention of people in this town. That's because I walk when it's snowing, sleeting, or miserably hot. (Not big on walking in the rain though.)

My advice to new walkers: dress for the weather, set out on your path, and in just a few blocks you'll be wearing a smile you hadn't expected.

Unknown said...

What a great idea Rita. This summer I lost 20lbs but managed to pack 10 back on. I could use all the motivation help I can get.

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Wendi, Amanda, Magdalena, Annie,

Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to this little adventure we're going to have together. I'm on vacation now, with limited internet access, so I won't talk about my own situation now, but I will say that like Magdalena, my exercise of choice is walking.

I'm going to post some questions today, and then again (hopefully) on New Year's day. Once I get back home on January 3rd, I'll be able to get more specific.

I'm soooo looking forward to this.

Rita