Monday, January 7, 2008

Celebrating Subtle Changes

Sometimes change creeps up on us, especially when we're starting something new--better nutrition, increased exercise, or the first few pounds we've shed. But the change exists, even if we don't yet notice its effects.

Today I have a celebration to share: I can still ski, and better than before! My legs and ankles sport new strength, and my balance has turned dependable. I hadn't noticed these changes on a daily basis, but they come through loud and clear on the slopes.

Although in my mind and heart I'm always a spring chicken, my body does feel effects of increasing chronological age. I love to ski, but I hadn't done so in at least five years, thinking maybe I was getting "too old." Perhaps I had good reason to think this, because the last time I skied I was out of shape and struggled down the ski runs.

Now, things are different! Since October '07, I've been working out with a personal trainer, (I'll call him "J," to preserve his privacy.) My workouts with J have included ski conditioning and strength training.

Though there's lots of wonderful powder up here in Heavenly Valley at Lake Tahoe, yesterday the skiing was hard because all the runs couldn't be groomed to my liking due to continuing falling snow. That means I had to exert myself more to glide down that mountain without falling.

Several times, I caught an edge of my ski on snow. Each time, I recovered, not falling even once! Five years ago, I would have fallen.

I attribute this happy state to my workouts with J. The results show on the slopes!

Well, that's all for now. I want to head out and get back into that snow.

Who else has a celebration to share? Or a challenge? Please put them in a comment to let us know. I look forward!

Yours for vibrant health and the good life,

xo, ciao,

Rita

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What an accomplishment Rita,
Congratulations.

Rita St. Claire said...

Thanks, Wendi!

Anonymous said...

Very good news, Rita! After a week of rededicating myself to my exercise plan, I'm finding it a little easier to lift my three- and five-pound weights and do my push-ups.

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Way to go, Janice! Isn't it great to see results? Like you, about six weeks ago I realized that because of my workouts it wasn't a burden anymore to lift chock-full bags onto the kitchen counter after doing my grocery shopping. Keep up the good work, Janice!