Monday, January 21, 2008

Getting there, little by little

It hasn't been easy, getting back on track, and I can't say I'm there yet. But today, after the third session with my personal trainer since the end of a cold fraught vacation, I'm feeling good. Three sessions with my trainer, J in the past six days!

At the first session, J was easy on me, because I asked. At the second, he worked me harder. Today was the hardest of all. I've never done a decent pushup in my life, and today, with his encouragement, I did twenty! Not pushups on the floor, mind you, but using a big exercise ball. And they still count.

Now this may sound pretty good on the surface. Maybe even like I'm back on track. Problem is, until today, I'd been allowing my sessions with J to be my only exercise. I'd been skipping my cardio, my daily walks.

This morning I decided I'd go out for a nice fast walk in the park. But then I sat down in front of my laptop. And, wouldn't you know, it started to rain--a copious, cold rain.

I stayed chained to my computer, working on some final tasks for The GOTCHA. (See my last post if you don't know what The GOTCHA is.) Time zoomed away, and in less than two hours I'd have to leave for my work out appointment. It looked mighty like I wasn't going to fit my walk in after all.

Guilt weighed on me, harder and harder. I almost couldn't stand it.

I checked my watch. I still had time. Something clicked inside me--I thought of my treadmill gathering dust in the bedroom.

Then, I committed!

I pushed my chair away from the desk, traipsed upstairs, grabbed a book on writing craft, and climbed onto my treadmill. I pressed START. For a half hour, I walked to a great read, a book called "The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life," by literary agent Noah Lukeman. Luckily, this book's type is big enough for me to read it as I walk on the treadmill.

Now, at the end of the day, I'm patting myself on the back. Not only did I work out today with my trainer, but I also did cardio for the first time in over a week. A small step, perhaps, but in the right direction.

Maybe tomorrow I can do the same. If you've fallen off track, I hope you can, too.

xo, ciao,

Rita

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Rita! Isn't it great how one little success can undo days of negative thinking? I just completed revisions on a short story draft (goal of 1/15) and dropped the ms in the mail. I've been riding the high since. It's making working toward my other goals a little easier. If only that feeling would last! Then again . . . would I feel motivated to go on to the next thing if it did? There might be a very real purpose to life's "downs." :-)

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Wow, Janice, what a good point you make about the "downs." Light and darkness give contrast. Rough and smooth make texture. Without the darkness, would we appreciate light? Without the rough, would we even feel the smooth?

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your story and making your submission. You should be on a high! I'm proud of you.

And, while it lasts, milk that good feeling for all you can. :-)

xo,
R