Thursday, January 17, 2008

'Fessin Up

I haven't blogged in a few days, and I'll confess: my cold beat me up. I've been working on The GOTCHA, a writing contest run by my local RWA chapter (Romance Writers of America.) I'm coordinating part of this worthy venture, and results are coming in. A contest, a cold, and a vacation -- all happened at once, making me busy, sick, and lazy.

Fessin' up about the lazy part -- for days, I couldn't breathe. My nose felt like two cement cones had been shoved up my nostrils, and that wasn't exactly conducive to exercise. So I didn't. Not as much as I'd hoped, anyway. I'd figured on six days of skiing during vacation, but wound up skiing three. So much for my confession.

On the other hand, yesterday was better. I still have the cold, but kept my appointment with my personal trainer. He went easy on me, but I did do most of my routine. In spite of my cold, the workout felt good.

Tomorrow's my next appointment, and I'm gonna ask him to work me hard. The key thing, I figure, is to get back on track. So, I'll pick myself up, and continue my program.

Has anyone else had a setback? Everyone does, sooner or later. That's why I offer you my little story. If I can 'fess up and recommit, so can you. If not, you could pray for a parking space. If that sounds like a non sequitur, see Gin's comment to my January 9th post.

Have a great day.

xo,

Rita

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Setbacks? Yup, health and family issues. But I'm still averaging a higher percentage of successes vs. "flubs." Reading posts about how others "get back on the horse" has made me more relaxed/less stressed re goals. And I've discovered goals can be revised, revamped, re-anything as long as you keep moving forward. ;-)

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Janice,

You put it so well. The last thing we need to do is stress ourselves out re our goals. Your comment helps me!

Thanks for sharing.

Anne Crawford-Clarke said...

When I started this weight loss journey on April 16 2007, I was so full of strength and determination. It seemed to last until September when I hit the 220s, then it fizzled out and I've been doing the yoyo thing since then. I think I need to sit back and just think about what it was that I was thinking and practicing that got that first 30+ pounds off so relatively easily.

I know one thing that had dawned on me, was that being overweight is, or can be, a somewhat temporary affliction, however the prolonged ramifications of it can be premanent. So, while having to watch what you eat and get the right exercise for a year is a royal pain, having to take insulin, or metforin, or something like that is forever. Same as any other life threatening disease. Transplant, AIDS, lupus, cancer etc patients, have to deal with it for life. If I had a choice, I'll take having to deal with watching what I eat and activity any day.

Now, to just get back to that frame of mind.

Jordanne

Rita St. Claire said...

Jordanne,

Oooh, I hear you, loud and clear! In some ways, I'm going through the same thing. I started my weight loss efforts in May or June of 2007, and by November I'd lost twenty-five pounds. Then there was Thanksgiving, then the holiday, then a vacation that included a cold. Now, I'm struggling to get back on track.

I do have to say I didn't gain over the holidays, but I didn't lose, either (and I didn't intend to.) Now I have to GEAR UP again. To tell you the truth, I'm doing it gradually.

As I read your post, Jordanne, where you say you need "to get back to that frame of mind." I have a feeling in a way you're already there. Or almost.

You're thinking about gearing up again, talking about it, posting it here in this blog. To me, that's a good sign.

During the Stanford study, I was taught that we go through stages when we set goals. I forget what they "officially" called the first stage, maybe "preparatory." It's the stage when we think about the new goal or behavior we want to undertake, but we don't yet do anything. We don't yet commit. I don't know if that's the place you're in right now, but even if you're already taking action but struggling, maybe in your heart you're back in the preparatory stage.

The nice thing about this stage is that it's absolutely necessary before we take action. First, we have to think about what we want to do. Then, we set the goal. Then, we commit.

So, by doing the thinking, maybe you're on your way.

In your post, you also said, "I think I need to sit back and just think about what it was that I was thinking and practicing that got that first 30+ pounds off so relatively easily." As you ponder this, maybe it would also help to think about what might be stopping you from practicing those things. Once you have some answers, you might be able to figure out some baby steps you could take to address the obstacle(s).

Sometimes my own obstacle is simply, "I DON'T WANT TO DO IT!" I've been struggling with that feeling for years. But I must have gotten over it at least part of the time, or I wouldn't have lost those twenty-five pounds!

Maybe you, too, feel resistance to do what you call a "royal pain" (well said, by the way.) On the other hand, you've already been successful at getting beyond that, to have lost those 30+ pounds!

As you think things through, I'd love to hear anything you'd like to share. Please post. I'm right there with you.