Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Staying Commited during a Slowdown

Do you ever feel life conspires against you, stopping you from meeting your exercise and nutrition goals? Maybe you have a tight writing deadline and it's all you can do to keep daily life going while you chain yourself to your keyboard. Or the kids are sick and a whole day (or entire week) is turned upside down like a kicked bucket, and your exercise plans slosh out. Or the day job throws a crisis, smashing your plans into smithereens, and for lunch you hit the vending machine, grabbing a Snickers bar.

Here's the big question: how remain committed to exercise and good nutrition when life gets in the way?

Today, that's what I'm asking myself. After two glorious days skiing at the Heavenly Valley resort here at Lake Tahoe, I've come down with a cold so nasty it borders on the flu. While my husband and daughter hit the slopes I'm sitting at the dining room table in our timeshare, banging at my laptop, surrounded by a cache of pain relievers and decongestants so big I could open a store.

This week I'd planned to get in my quota of four or five days of active exercise via daily skiing, but now I’m feeling too sick to ski, or even to walk outside in the cold. But I’m going to stay committed anyway, and I won't beat myself up. I’ll give myself some time to heal, then resume my activities. Here’s my plan.

Pause and reflect. While I’m cozying up in front of the fire, I’ll let myself enjoy this period of inactivity. I’ll read, watch TV, and work on my computer. I’ll enjoy a book I’ve just bought, French Women Don’t Get Fat, and use it for nutritional inspiration.

Set a date to resume my routine. That date will be tomorrow or Friday, when, if I feel up to it, I’ll ski again. If I don’t feel up to skiing by then, I’ll check out the fitness center here at the timeshare and take a gentle walk on the treadmill. If the weather’s sunny, I'll nix the treadmill and walk outside in the crisp winter air.


It seems to me that when life slows us down, it’s crucial not to blame ourselves. Self chastisement subverts success. When I beat myself up I feel like a failure. That throws me into a downward spiral and I get off track. This time, I’m going to be gentle with myself and implement my two-step plan.

How do you stay committed to your goals when life gets in the way? How do you stay committed?

Before I say ciao, please welcome new "member" Sherry, whose goals I've summarized and added to the January 4th post, Look Here for Inspiration. Glad to have you, Sherry!

xo, ciao,

Rita

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's important that we don't try to be too "perfect." Because then when the least little thing throws us off we get discouraged and throw in the towel.

That's what happens to me. It's almost like an all or nothing thing. One bad day and it takes me ages to get back into healthy living again. I'm sure it would be more productive to just move on and do the best you can.

Rita St. Claire said...

Hi, Annie,

I couldn't agree with you more, because I have this problem, too. But, I'm changing.

I felt pretty bad today, and the weather was reasonable here, but I didn't ski. I didn't do anything, but stay on the couch. Ain't it awful?

However, I've told my husband and daughter that tomorrow I'm going to ski. This imperfect woman is going to get off the couch and out of the house and ski!

How are you doing?

Rita

Unknown said...

Just wanted to add a little humor.


Wait Upon the Lord

After starting a new diet for 2008 I altered my drive to work to avoid passing my favorite bakery.

I accidently drove by the bakery this morning, and as I approached, there in the windows were a host of goodies. I felt this was not an accident, so I prayed..."Lord, it's up to you, if you want me to have any of those delicious goodies, create a parking place for me directly in front of the bakery."
And sure enough...... on the eighth time around the block, there it was!

Gin

Rita St. Claire said...

Hi, Gin,

Great to see you here. All I can say is that's quite a story. I can tell you're a VERY clever person!

I'll bet you didn't even park in that space, hee, hee.

xo,

Rita

Anonymous said...

It's February, and the excitement of a new year beginning seems to have waned. I notice in my other "goal group" the posts have dropped to zero after, one by one, the members have dropped off participating. I myself am feeling a bit heavy in the heart because I detoured from my stated writing goals for two weeks to work on a project that requires more "whipping into shape" than I'd anticipated. Now I'm at risk of not meeting my original goal, with nothing new to show for it. How different I would have felt if I'd been able to dash off the new project quickly and return to the path! :-)