Friday, January 4, 2008

Look here for Inspiration

I promised I'd summarize everyone's goals and put them together, so I’ve taken a crack at briefly restating what you’ve said in your posted comments. Read further to see how inspiring you are!

I’ve enjoyed reading about your all your objectives, including those for your writing and personal lives. Its good to express the totality of our goals, because it stands to reason we'll increase our chances of success by linking health practices with our lifestyles. I’ve limited this summary, though, to the main purpose of this mutual support blog: exercise, nutrition, and weight loss.

Here's what you've said:

Annie: She’s succeeded in losing weight. Since some has crept back up, she wants to lose again and knows she’ll feel a whole lot fitter after that. She’s looking forward to feeling competent and in control of her life and happy that she’s followed through on what’s important to her. You paint a wonderful picture of the future, Annie, and we’re happy to help you in your efforts. We feel sure you’ll succeed.

Beppie (a.k.a., “Mom”) would like to lose a specific number of pounds. Very busy in many areas of her life—family, publishing, job—she want to set priorities and work out a schedule of how to fit all her time-absorbers together into something approaching a reasonable mix. Winning goals, Beppie, and we're here to support them.

Gin wants to make lifestyle changes, and her doctor agrees. She’s planning to use her gym membership actively now, and to eat more fruits and veggies. Fantastic, Gin! We’re right there with you!

Janice says she’ll give thought to her 2008 goals. We look forward to hearing them, Janice!

Jill hasn’t “declared” her goals just yet, but says she likes the idea of this blog. We’re looking forward to hearing more from you, Jill!

Jordanne is looking for more peace and calm and balance, and sees her challenges as order and discipline. She’s looking forward to a great year and to success in her goals. Jordanne, we’re looking forward to following your progress and helping however we can.

Magdalena: She loves to walk outside, traversing the hilly streets of her town, in all kinds of weather—snow, sleet, heat. She advises dressing for the weather and getting outside, knowing it will bring a smile to our faces. Magdalena, you are an inspiration! We look forward to hearing your successes.

Sherry has created a new plan for herself, a “writing, promoting, cleaning, exercising, nutrition and emailing plan,” in her words. Her plan includes time slots for important personal, family, and writing activities. You have to see it to appreciate it. I for one, am impressed with her very interesting approach. Check out her plan at her blog at Sherry's Plan. Sherry certainly has inspired me.

Wendi: She used to exercise daily but slowed down last year, and is ready to get started with a more serious routine. Her idea for 2008 is to start every morning on the elliptical. She likes to be accountable, and thus may pop in and report her progress, thought she’s not aiming for a specific number of pounds to lose. She’s looking forward to the motivation we’ll share on this blog. We’re looking forward to sharing that motivation, Wendi.

As for me, I want to remain steadfast with my current exercise routines and to continue eating lots of fruits and veggies and minimizing saturated fats. I’m so glad I’ve started this blog and have you all to share with!

I'd love to see comments to support each other in the above, and reports on progress. They can be daily, weekly, or less frequent. I do think the more frequent the better, to hold ourselves accountable and to support each other. Shall we give it a whirl?

Once I've had a chance to exercise today, I'll report my progress via a comment. I hope some, if not all of you, do the same.

We're on our way. Good luck to you all!

xo, ciao,

Rita

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those sound like terrific goals to me. After a week back at WW I lost 3lbs.

This week I'm planning on getting back to the gym for at least 3 visits. Haven't been in over three months.

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Annie,

GREAT WORK! CONGRATULATIONS! Keep up the good work!

Keep us posted on how the gym goes this week.

xo,

Rita

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Well, here's my report.

Friday I didn't get to exercise. We had a terrible winter storm in California. My personal trainer called me and we decided that it would be better not to be on the roads, so we rescheduled my next appointment. Saturday was spent driving up to Lake Tahoe amid near-blizzard conditions, but we made it. (Long story I won't tell here.)

TODAY, I got in about two hours of hard downhill skiing. GREAT EXERCISE. Plan to do the same tomorrow.

How is everyone else doing? We've heard from Wendi. How about the rest?

xo,

Rita

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Oops! I meant to say we've heard from ANNIE! (I had just "talked" to Wendi via another e-mail loop and I guess she was also on my mind, lol.)

Rita