Thursday, January 3, 2008

Goals and Challenges

Thanks for posting answers to the questions I've asked. I've enjoyed reading your answers.

It seems a common theme is balance. With so many responsiblities pressing on us, it's easy to get off track and abandon our program. We do so many things and care for so many people -- for our families, friends, our colleagues. We work hard for our editors, or for our bosses on our "day jobs." We do so much for others, there's hardly time for ourselves.

To me, this mix adds up to LIFESTYLE. Any program for exercise, nutrition, and/or weight loss, must fit into our own personal lifestyles, whatever they may be. This is something I learned through my participation in the Stanford study. It's something I'll share with you in later blogs.

By the way, if you haven't seen the article about the Stanford study which was such a big help to me, here's the link to it.

Since more people seem to be "joining" this blog, I'll wait a day or two and then I'll try to compile everyone's goals. That will show us where we stand.

Then, I'll post some of my own tips. I'll also be looking for guest bloggers to tell us their tips.

Meanwhile, keep checking in. Make your comments. Post your successes, your challenges, whatever. I'll post mine, too. Post as often as you want. If daily reporting helps you, go ahead and do so. If weekly is better, that works, too. During the Stanford study, I reported my progress weekly.

My next post will be about getting off the couch. Hope you enjoy it!

xo, ciao,

Rita

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A site that helps me with my nutrition goals is the USDA's MyPyramid.gov. Go here http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx , then enter your age, gender and activity level for a personalized nutritional chart to help you plot your ideal daily intake. (Example: a 50-year-old female who exercises 30-60 minutes most days a week should consume 6 servings of grains, 2.5 of vegetables, 2 of fruits, 3 of dairy or dairy substitutes, 5.5 of meat or meat substitutes/beans and no more than 6 teaspoons of oils/fats.) You can turn the chart into a worksheet that can be printed out to help you keep track of how you're doing with your goals.

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Hi, Janice,

Thanks for the tip. I'd heard of the website but hadn't used it. I'll check it out. I love the idea of turning the chart into a worksheet!

Anyone else for tips? I know I need all the help I can get.

xo,
Rita

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Hi, Janice,

I checked out MyPyramid.gov. Thanks for the tip; it's great! I've just printed out a week's worth of worksheets, which I'll use this week while we're on our family ski vacation.

Until before Thanksgiving, I've been on the Jenny Craig program to lose weight, but during the holidays and until I'm back from the vacation which starts tomorrow, I'll go it "alone" and use the worksheet to track my eating.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Sherry Morris said...

I have just completed day one of my new lifestyle plan, which I hope will become a habit in three weeks time. I've incorporated a little of everything in my world I'd like to accomplish: exercise, writing, and house cleaning. I even have scheduled time to email and blog. It was a fabulous workout, go go go go go this morning.

If you'd like to see my daily plan, this is the URL:
http://members.cox.net/romancer/daily_house_cleaning_schedule.htm

Rita Horiguchi, writing as Rita St. Claire said...

Sherry,

Glad to see you on our mutual support blog! I love your cute picture.

CONGRATULATIONS ON COMPLETING THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR NEW LIFESTYLE PLAN!

I tried the url you posted and couldn't get into the site, but from the name it sounds interesting. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Since I couldn't get acces via the url, could you easily copy and paste your plan into an e-mail to me? I'd love to summarize and include it with everyone else's goals and challenges. (I'm on vacation right now, but when I get home, I'll tinker with the site and try to get into it.)

I notice you've included housekeeping in your lifestyle plan. BRAVA for you! I have a feeling we have some of the same challenges. I'm trying to find balance between writing, family, keeping house, and exercise and nutrition.

Here's one of my own tips for housekeeping--there's a great site, called FlyLady.net. If you haven't seen it, do check it out.

FLYLADY

(I hope the above link works)

I'd love to have you as a guest blogger, Sherry! Let me know when you'd like to blog, and if you have specific topics, too.

xo,

Rita

Sherry Morris said...

Hi Rita and All!

I've been following the Flylady and the Sidetracked Home Executive's housekeeping plans for a year now. They've changed my life ;)

My blog is syndicated on my book page for HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL at Amazon, and it includes my fitness schedule. This is the URL:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1419951335?ie=UTF8&tag=writinwithmye-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1419951335

This is my regular blog:
http://housewifeink.wordpress.com/

I don't know how to insert HTML tags here, so you'll have to cut and paste the URL into your browser. I've also emailed it to you privately.

Happy weigh-ins everyone!

Sherry